Friday 14 February 2014

Long Stares

There were only silences,
latent ones,
like those in Cohen’s songs

Of which words make
poetry of their own.
I stared into space

conscious of the silences,
somehow not complaining.
Then he wrote.

Empty spaces filled with words.
Lonely words turned
to conversations.

And I stared into them.
Words written to me, for me,
had a rhythm of their own

But that wasn’t enough.
So I stared further, longer
for it to turn into music

for he, like me,  was enslaved
by it, the weight of words
turning too heavy, without.

And like any other conversation,
this too, ends.
Back to silences.

You don’t listen to Cohen’s
music particularly, do you?
He has the words,

all I have are long stares.


2 comments:

The Sunset on August 5th, 2020

The sun’s decline is both a spectacle and a discrete proposal for us to decide over, to veto the power of the strongest- since ignorance of ...